Wednesday 2 April 2014

A Spring Clean

This story starts in the kitchen of our home, it starts with a shocking revelation - I couldn't make my fabulous recipe (as alluded to in this post) due to our ingredients cupboard being shockingly full of out of date items! I'm not just talking a few months out of date but years, some where from 2011! The shame is almost overwhelming but not really...


So no pumpkin scones, no wonderful reveal of how you can still have stored foodstuffs from the last harvest ready to be made into something delicious even in March *shakes head with such melancholy*

Aww well...moving on.

At the allotment we are still slowly but surely kicking ass on 14b and boy it feels great :) It's a hard slog but I love it; getting rid of weeds is my sort of my thing. Just look at how much better the summer raspberries look now without all the grass and thistles etc. Goodness the 'Tulameen' are going crazy (the ones closed to the camera) I don't know whether I ought to have cut more of the runners out but I had so many things I wanted to get done, like clearing the overgrown path too, still much to do, but it's better.


Then I turned 90 degrees to my right and decided this, this was the new enemy. It was really tough going and I was exhausted by the time I had gotten this far (which was 'home time'), but every huge weed and it's root system has been obliterated thus far :) Plus Andrew got some fine mesh net fencing up to try and help keep next doors' weeds out a little and give us some wind protection.


So home time it was and it had just started to rain as well so that always makes me feel better about leaving. Funny, we were there on one of the most settled days yet and only 2 other people were on their plots. It was only as we were leaving (cue rain) that a group of men arrived to tackle an overgrown plot....wonder if they stayed long.

Lucky for me I got some nice Springy photos at tea break time and again as I was packing up; Andrew got together our first harvest of the new year - Rhubarb! But that's all for next time xxx

Hugs and love
Carrie x

13 comments:

  1. You've been busy. I picked the first few rhubarb stems yesterday. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek! - I hope you have something super delicious out of them! xx

      Delete
  2. My kitchen cupboards are 10 times worse than that! Hope you get some warm sunshine to get the growing season started on your lottie.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Matron, I'm sure your cupboards are grand. The weather here has turned a bit blah and depressing though I suppose it's a little warmer. I too wish for good growing conditions for all my lovely friends and readers xxxx

      Delete
  3. We planted some Tulammen last autumn but will have to wait 'til next year for fruit. Are they good fruiters.

    My problem is out of date herbs and spices where you only use small amounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are excellent fruiterers but it does take a wee while for them to settle in. You'll not be disappointed next year!
      Yep, it's the size of the packs, sometimes you get them so quick, sometimes it's only a once a year sort of thing. Herbs are the worst, we buy fresh or grow fresh now, spices can last a wee bit longer xxxx

      Delete
  4. oooh, I can just imagine the nice feeling as I am leaving my garden, completely tired, and it starts to rain on the nicely arranged allotment gently... Must have been really nice :)

    I planted a crown of Rhubarb in late February, but it doesn't seem to have survived. My man keeps informing me about the state of the garden and he says there are no new leaves at all the the little ones the crown had, are not there any more... I guess it has rotten into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go my friend and get a new one, or even better, wait until the growing season is over and get a friend to split one of theirs = freebie!! It doesn't sound like the one you planted has much of a future :( xxx

      Delete
  5. I just cleaned out my kitchen cupboards a few months ago and before that they were terrible. Lots of outdated items and too many of some things and not enough of another!. Looks like you're making great progress on 14b.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very eye opening! Andrew was a bit ashamed that I showed our cupboard to the world but hey, they're fine now :)
      I really am pleased at how much we have done on 14b so far. Lots more to do but it's very rewarding. A hearty THANK YOU for your praise xxx

      Delete
    2. the thing is ... they hide in the corners ... and when you look at the date, you think but BUT it can't be. I was going to bake, but didn't.

      Delete
  6. That's a job well done Carrie, very satisfying I imagine. I've got lots of weeding to do, as well as all sorts of everything. It's a busy time of year! Hope you enjoy the rest of the week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooohh so satisfying, you are right! There is so much going on at the minute and I love it :) Though to be fair, the hubby does the planning and sowing and I just weed, harvest and photograph really ;) Hugs to you xx

      Delete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x