Sunday 11 July 2010

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
***
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
***
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
***
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Of course I can not take any credit whatsoever, I watched the film of the same title tonight and this poem is of course integral. It transends any Hollywood movie. Read it, share it and take strength from these words xxx Love as always

4 comments:

  1. I have yet to see this film, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. Must see it ASAP!

    Thanks for sharing this poem with us, Carrie. It has a particular relevance to me right now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one film I have been meaning to watch! Apparently Morgan Freeman was at the match in Johannesburg last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carrie, what a great poem, I must check out the film soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie.. I like these two verses of the poem in particular..

    'I am the Master of my fate..
    I am the captain of my soul"

    Those are very profound statements that speak to me, It reminds me about the mind over matter..

    Wonderful post..

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x