Monday 19 July 2010

Berries everywhere!

Arrghhh, I can't eat them fast enough, the berries are flooding into the chamber and I am raising, raising up to the rafters, soon there will be no oxygen left, I shall drown or suffocate (I'm not sure which at this present moment, I have other things on my mind and sementics, though usually important to me will have to be pushed to one side) in sweet berry goodness!
******
That's how it feels on our plots at the moment. A joious, if slightly overwhelming bounty of strawberries, raspberries and red gooseberries with the blackberries looking at me, ready to pounce. I can't ever eat this many berries! So apart from jammin', we be freezin' these days and having summer pudding and 'fools'. We were even considering making wine - does anyone make raspberry wine?? Have I just invented it?; am I an evil genius? I must go and TM this....

On top of that I was surprised by Andrew this evening as I when  came out the bathroom he was there with our first 2 blueberries from the back garden. We have a fabulous plant in a pot out there :)

Berries galore, plus I have (almost) forgiven the birds for eating all my white and red currants. Hope you had a happy weekend, I was at my lottie so I have photos to for you x..

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait until we get to that point with our berries. Our raspberries just went in this year as did our lonely currant (our other two died).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... uses for excess berries... let's see what we can come up with...

    How about stomping 'em into a fine liquid in a wine vat and then stuffing the result into a mattress? Then you'd have a lovely berry scented water bed! Heavenly!

    If I think of anything else, I'll keep it to myself. It's likely to be just as silly and unhelpful! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have exactly the same fortunate 'problem'. We add a little sugar to the berries which brings out the juice and then freeze this. Over winter we have our own fruit yoghurts and add to porridge etc. Some such as blackburrants need a bit of cooking to. You can also make fruit vinegars. Raspberry vinegar goes well on pancakes.

    At the moment we are having loads of fresh fruit salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly my strawberries and raspberries have finished! However the first blackberries need just a few more days and then...! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely problem to have! I'm sure you'll find some novel ways to use up the surplus, I need to grow more fruit, nothing now until the plum tree comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic lottie blog :) gonna add you to me favs list. Just got me new lottie, doing a little diary too :D

    All the best with your harvest, Craig :)

    www.dykesedge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x