Friday 22 May 2015

The disappoinment of May

May hasn't been going as well as I'd like. Weather wise it is colder and wetter than I can remember compared to the last few years on the plot and somehow it feels more like March over there, April at a push. And with the blasted, frustrating rain that is still forecast into the next weeks, (though now with the heady highs of 12 or 14 degrees) all we have to look forward to is more of the same:


*  Slugs having the most wondrous time and eating away at our newly planted broad beans (we've sown more);
*  Gooseberry sawfly larvae colonising the gooseberries (Andrew got there just in time, this time)
*  Prolific and never-ending weeds and grass that simply won't stop growing a few feet every week.

'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ an allotment blog


Oh how I weep….

Good news however is abundant, it's merely my depressed viewpoint that makes it all seem so dreary and helpless. Plus I have had writer's block for weeks and it's made me become a bitter blogger *sad face*, as in reality there are a great many little stories I would have liked to share but simply couldn't. On top of that, when I am in a low period I rarely care about spending time taking photos, I just want to work and try to get lost in my actions; take a break from my own thoughts. Thus we only have a few quick camera phone snaps with this post - sorry.

All the asparagus plants grew well and sent up their first spears, this has made us both very happy and dancing a quick jig may have been the result. ;) All 10 plants haven't failed us thus far, though once bitten we are tentative about this endeavour.

The rhubarb plants are glorious and filling out their bed nicely, the transplanting having done them no harm at all. There are many a fruit blossom all over the two half plots, hopefully well get some tasty treats.

'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ an allotment blog

We have many new baby carrots and parsnips germinated in situ and the purple sprouting broccoli is going to flower = happy bees (though I haven't seen many the year yet).

'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ an allotment blog

So this is just a catch up. We will be going this weekend and maybe, just maybe, on the Bank Holiday Monday too ;) I have my 'proper camera' battery charging up and my fingers crossed for breaks in the weather were a girl can happily click away.

At least I've broken the terrible block and got something down on paper, or rather, on screen. It'll be easier now to keep you posted.

'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ an allotment blog

love and hugs
Carrie

4 comments:

  1. I do understand your comment about your camera. In my happy state, I love photography, but right now I don't even know if my camera battery is charged. Still I'm managing to hang in there and hope (fingers crossed) the weather co-operates this weekend so I can get many plants planted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first time today on the plot things seem to have started to grow away and it has been a lovely day - maybe things will pick up now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not not been a good month for for gardeners being far too cool and dull. Still as you say it's not all bad news, and I'm sure will be looking up soon for all of us.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and happy plotting. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie's doing her - don't cast a clout before May is out.
    Wish you some summer sun soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x