Wednesday 25 February 2015

Nothing else matters

Every now and then, when you aren't looking for it, you hear a piece of wisdom that not only makes sense but eases the soul and gives one hope. After sharing a little of how I am feeling these days I have felt rather fragile, somehow exposed but at the same time a wee bit proud of myself. Yep, I have a menagerie of all the emotions swirling around in my head; 'all the feels', as the cool kids say.

Last night I finally got to see the film The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and though exhausted and depressed I did like it and found it slightly uplifting.



In the film Dame Judy Dench's character writes a blog, which naturally caught my attention. How appropriate then that when she was writing at one point and I was interested in her personal thoughts she said this..

Evelyn: The only real failure is the failure to try. And the measure of success is how we cope with disappointment. As we always must. [...] We get up every morning, we do our best. Nothing else matters.

To be honest, to hear it in reference to others I utterly believe the sentiment and I guess that means I'm not a complete failure either, like I view myself. I'm a fighter, I get up everyday and I do my best and well it just felt good to hear that.

I just thought I'd share it, for all those who think life isn't going their way, that each venture so far hasn't turned out how they hoped - you aren't failing at this adventure called life, as long as you keep going and simply do your best.

With much love
Carrie

14 comments:

  1. Funnily my sister loves to watch this film when she is feeling down and say it helps cheer her, I haven't yet seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue you much watch it! It's bound to be on some sort of iplayer or netflix etc. I promise you'll like it! xx

      Delete
    2. My sister has it recorded as she often watches it over again and I plan to watch it with her one day

      Delete
  2. I really love that Carrie. And how fantastic does this film sound......it is always so wonderful when you can walk away from a film with inspiration. You are strong my friend! Proud of you! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you a million times over Nicole, I certainly don't feel strong but I am trying to fight. The film is great and full of hope xxx

      Delete
  3. Well done you. I really enjoy reading your blogs and can identify with your feelings of depression and not wanting to go out / do anything. I keep struggling and try to get outside. (Even in the rain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous, it means a lot to me that you enjoy my blog, I do try to put my heart into it. I am however so sorry to hear that you too suffer the anguish of depression, go easy on yourself and the good times (however short lived) will come, I promise xxx

      Delete
  4. We happened across that film on TV, I was utterly engrossed and loved it.
    Yes, uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a fellow fan. It was so beautiful, I feel I need to watch it again :)

      Delete
  5. I love the quote, it's so true, I need to remind myself of that every so often. "The only real failure is the failure to try". I shall think about that this week. I do hope things are easier for you very soon Carrie. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, your persistence is always inspiring. That you'd taken time and much effort to write the posts that give us a glimpse into your dark days shows that you aren't there to stay. I do pray that you'll find hope and encouragement that is rooted deep in your soul. Yes, you do keep trying. And it amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I have I'm reading these post in reverse order, but I love that you got those inspiring words and took them to heart. I'm a great believer, we're given the messages we need to hear. I remember once watching a movie,LA Story, which featured a talking billboard. I can't remember the exact message, but it flashed one that hit me right between my eyes...that's how accurate it was.

    So, take a deep breath and say those lines to yourself -- You are a fighter. You always have been, but I think sometimes a reminder from the Universe is helpful. BTW I loved the film, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you say is completely true. I believe that every person who suffers from depression is a fighter and a hero - I have been there myself. To actually get out of bed when you feel like your entire soul hurts is a heroic task and people who did not experience it will not understand. We should never tell ourselves we failed, but we should be saying "tomorrow will be a new day" instead. Keep going, you great brave girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt that I HAD to comment on your previous post about Depression.

    I am a fellow sufferer of Depression, along with a good healthy dose of Generalized Anxiety disorder, and a heaping overdose of Social Anxiety disorder too. I empathize with you, because I know how hard it is just to get through the day. We too have just accepted an Allotment, and as the days start to get a little bit brighter, and a touch warmer, I become more determined to beat these illnesses once and for all.

    Never think though that you've failed if you have a bad/hard day. Keep going, keep strong. As the person above said 'Tomorrow will be a new day'.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x