Monday 5 November 2012

The humble Broad Bean

No amount of hyperbole could describe my hatred of Winter. I despise and fear the damp, dark, dreary days and the cold that seeps into my very bone marrow. If I didn't already have chronic depression I know that I would be a SAD sufferer. But, and it's a big but (I like big butts and I cannot lie, hahaha), I have found a small fragile flame of hope and warmth. It's like a little candle flame way in the distance sitting low on the ground in the midst of an eerie, misty country line, but it is Hope.

Look...

Yes, new life is here, the Spring lies within these babies in the greenhouse; the promise of a happier time with more sunlight and warmth in our days and I could cry with relief at the sight.

****

"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
  - Albert Camus
(in the depths of winter, I discovered there was in me an invincible summer)

10 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL message, Carrie!!!!!!
    That's exactly how I defeated my former fear and hatred of winter! That made me so much stronger... believe me, Carrie, if you keep seeing that flame, and seeing that winter is not "death" but a long, peaceful sleep during which Nature gathers her best forces for the new Life to come in Spring... you will find new strength inside you and see things under a whole different light!

    LOVE Camus' quote!!!

    Lots of love!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my sweet Annuk, thank you x I must also point out that friends like you keep me going especially through the rough times and the dark winter. You bring light to my life xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very cute post! I'm going to sow some broad beans asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love broad beans :-)
    I actually like winter - it inspires my pictures.

    Celia x

    PS: so, what was the picture of?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter is always a bad time if you are depressed - that is until the sun shines on a cold crisp day! I'm sure if it stayed light for longer it would help but we have to change the clocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that little sprout is a thing of utter sculptural perfection. (But oh how I remember grey winter days in Switzerland!) Come this way, we have sun and blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope winter flies by as you enjoy little signs of life and spring like this little broad bean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm..... Mr Winter never comes and visits us here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrie,

    This is a beautifully written post. I love your words, "I have found a small fragile flame of hope and warmth. It's like a little candle flame way in the distance sitting low on the ground in the midst of an eerie, misty country line, but it is Hope."

    While I knew what was coming, it still is such a wonderful message that there are "babies in the greenhouse.

    The Camus quote is a perfect bookend. I will send this wish, May you find inside you "an invincible summer" even when the days of dreary and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there is nothing humble about the broad bean. It is the KING of veg. So Royal that I bow down to each seedling as it emerges. Well ahem cough blush shuffle perhaps that's a bit far-fetched but actually I love them and am soooooo pleased to see your post as I had not realised WHY I smile at them so much. Thanks for, once more, opening my eyes. Miss J

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x