Saturday 3 December 2016

A damp dander

Times have been tough with my mental health (not helped by these darker mornings and evenings) and the training of Toby. Oh Lord, I had forgotten how frustrating and exhausting teaching a puppy was. A few weeks ago we wondered what we were doing with this little stress maker!
...... But today (I write on Saturday evening) Toby did us proud and broke a few hearts on his second walk ever; he is adorable.

We visited Mount Stewart and walked around the lake there, it's so beautifully planted and works to please at all times of the year. Santa was also visiting but we hadn't booked to see him sadly, though a friendly elf cuddled Toby for a wee minute. I just love how the National Trust staff seem to love dogs and make all their gardens dog friendly with water bowls, free poop bags and places to tie yours up when coffee calls.


There is a micro climate in and around Mount Stewart and though it drizzled and I was cold (2 tops and 2 coats plus a fleecy lined hat) it wasn't a bad day at all. Many varieties of trees there still have their leaves or have very recently dropped them and even the tree ferns are still unsheathed.


I love the Trust's practise of using old and rotten logs as habitats for insects and fungi but this was a new sight - baby rhododendrons planted in this one. They also use fallen or storm damaged limbs/trunks as art and simple benches.


I didn't take that many photos but just wanted to say hello really and this was a good excuse...
And here's my boys :)


I'm going to the allotment tomorrow for a look around so a 'proper' post will follow......Indeed friends, I must apologise for the lack of blogging, truly had I had anything to say or indeed the health to say it I would have been writing more often.

Wishing you well,
Carrie

9 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you again Carrie. I know what you mean about the puppy stage! We really did despair, often! Lauran xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laura, there were a couple of days there that I really could have cried! One step toward two steps back, aarrghhh. But all is well now 😄 xxxx

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid that the NT are not as welcoming of dogs here in England. Some properties allow dogs in their gardens but many don't. They say they may spoil the enjoyment of other visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrible to hear! As an obvious 'dog person' I have seen the joy a little dog can bring to a moment in the NT trust's sometimes stuffy atmosphere. Here there are even artists in residence who have their dogs with them! Golly I'm shocked x

      Delete
    2. I have written to them complaining on numerous occasions. I mentioned that some parents are very irresponsible and let their children run around screaming spoiling things for everyone else but that I would never suggest that there was ban on children.

      Delete
  3. A nice post and lovely pictures. I hope that you enjoy your foray to the plot today. Take care and keep warm. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Toby also has a winter coat against the chill?

    As I sit here in a T shirt and shorts after walking on the beach this morning ;~))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Diana, don't! You are a terrible tease as we sit here with the heating on and blankets deployed xx

      Delete
  5. Your blog always makes me smile! A puppy! How lovely for you...there's nothing cuter than a puppy...unless its a kitten :-) Sorry, I've been absent from commenting...it's been a crazy year...my closest friend was diagnosed with breast cancer and my husband had a stroke. Thankfully, they have both recovered and are doing amazingly well. Then there was the presidential election...it's been a very different year. Oddly, enough through all this my depression has been at bay for which I am thankful. Wishing you, Andrew and baby Toby a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x