Saturday 27 February 2016

First Contact

I feel I have been so long away from my once cherished blog. I was held back, denied the access to think straight or care about the lottie by the deepest, darkest, depths of depression and consistent anxiety; I'm still fighting it, who am I trying to kid. It will be with me all my days and learning to cope and continue to fight is my only way forward. So forward we go.....

** Yesterday The head gardener took a day off work and we had a great wee time together; I love those sort of days, they feel stolen and thus more fun. We decided that our National Trust membership, which had lapsed, need renewing and we did it so easily online and then, went off to Rowallane Gardens.

Sadly the weather turned on us and flipped into heavy rain, so no garden explorations :(  However, when you have a really talented potter on site (Mark) and a cafe, you can cope, believe us! Retail therapy...
Matt's (the resident potter) studio AND the items we have that he artfully created
*****

And now, the allotment! - my first visit since sometime last September.

So I did it, I bloomin' did it! Here, a photo to prove it to myself and the world; if you follow me on Instagram you'll have seen this posted in real time, as soon as I got there. I was so nervous/excited.


There was much to be done and still much more, haha. We are doing the Charles Dowding 'No dig' approach this year so there was very little hand forking even (it's my favourite hand tool, weep).  If you have an exceptional memory you'll remember I reviewed his book on the topic in 2014 and now we're converts.

I write this as I lay blanket swaddled on the sofa exhausted from hard work and anxiety. Andrew dropped me off and then back for a little more! and to tidy up but wow, we got a lot of clearing done in those 2+ hrs. Pictures speak louder than words as they say :)


We had the whole place to ourselves which was great for me but also criminal! It's been THE day we've all been waiting for - the perfect Lottie day with no rain or wind though it quickly got frickin' freezing once it turn 4.30!
Andrew has been working away on this plot every now and then (proud wife) and the well rotted horse manure that he is mulching with is glorious, sexy stuff :)
Two wheelbarrows and two trugs of clearing done (that's just me) and a traditional subway sandwich - it looks like we're back! Next time I'll take my 'proper camera' and not just rely on my phone *blush*

Happy plotting, love
Carrie

9 comments:

  1. Gosh you were busy bees :)

    All the gardening I have done this year is try and train the wisteria to grow on the fence, lol :)

    But I do want to try and grow a few things this year, we will see :)

    Congrats on making it out, that is awesome :)

    Have a wonderful weekend, cheers, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We did have a wonderful weekend and I hope you did too! Oh do grow yourself some food in pots even, everything tastes better just moments old :)
      Hugs x

      Delete
  2. It's good to see you posting again about your plots. I'm sure that you'll have them all ready for planting and sowing before too long. Does 'no digging' mean that you'll have more time to sit, relax and smell the flowers? Take care, Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, it's hard, exhausting to go and to write but I am determined. We have some things sown (hardly anything really) but the beds are starting to feel less soggy and soon the fun can begin. No Dig just means not using a spade or big fork to turn over the soil etc. I'll still be putting weeds bare hand til my dying day! However I have started with a more paced out approach and time is found for the looking ad smelling xx

      Delete
  3. There's nothing like a before/after series to give that sense of accomplishment. Well done, Andrew and Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really great work, what a difference a day makes! And you're right, everyone should have been out there on that beautiful day. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, a day of good hard work and we have really seen a difference that is pushing us forward. All those others of hundreds of people, well, shame on them. Though I loved the peace and quiet :) xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Carrie I spotted your lovely hubby Andrew on The great Irish journeys with Martha Kierney which I've been catching up with. I recognised him straight away from your blog ! Well done Andrew !
    I haven't blogged since giving up my allotment about fifteen months ago now, after seven years of hard work on it.. I don't regret giving it up at all but I do miss blogging. ( allotment heaven blog ! Remember me ? I think you made my first comment )
    I'm in awe of your constant struggle with your ups and downs with the depression and anxiety attacks.
    Best wishes to you both
    Maureen xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x