Thursday 23 July 2015

The Head Gardener

Today* I have lived inside a big dizzily rain cloud, metaphorically and meteorologically. It's not been fun. At these low light levels I'm like a little Livingstone daisy and stay all shut up, my colours hidden away just as those outside are so dulled and touched with grey.

So to shake me out of this terrible funk I thought I'd talk about one of my favourite subjects - my hubby.

First off I'd like to once again shout from the shed rooftop that he has done everything on the plots this year. As I said in the last post, I have only started to join in recently.

Well, let's just take a look at what he did on Sunday at the Lottie. If you look again at his cosy hideaway area in the last post, you'll notice how happy I am sitting there. But really, its a shame you can't see how happy he is, at this point, at my happiness. I should have taken a photo of that moment from my point of view.

Then as I headed over to 14b, he got stuck into the work by leaving again to take lots of rubbish to the dump. On his return he planted my zinnas out, harvested the extra broccoli sprouts and weeded the runner beans...
weeding the runner beans -  growourown.blogspot.com ~ an allotment blog

Onto to the apple trees which he espaliered like a pro. Lots of pruning, shaping and tying branches to wires and bamboo poles. Check out this RHS advice page if you are interested in doing the same to your apple or pear trees, it's a superb way to grow them in restricted spaces.

The bottom photo is one I pilfered off his Instagram account - it's of the other apple tree (the one behind him in my photo) but they were pretty much in the same condition so it gives you an idea of the shape he was able to get them into. Each tree has one apple - one each for us, shhh don't tell Maggie!
apple pruning - growourown.blogspot.com ~ an allotment blog
espaliered apple tree- growourown.blogspot.com ~ an allotment blog

But on top of everything, he encouraged me to go, made me dinner afterwards and praised my efforts. In the evening he went back (whilst I showered and yoga-ed), to plant out some more baby leeks and to use his petrol strimmer and make the place all tidier. He had his mum round to gather a harvest for her too :)

He's just all kinds of fabulous, sometimes it makes me really sick, haha.

Hugs and Love
Carrie

P.S. This is what Maggie did for most of the afternoon, supervising is such tiring work...
Maggie out in the wild :)

* (written on Tuesday - the weather is nicer today)

8 comments:

  1. Andrew does work hard and seems to manage ti stay cheerful even when he must worry about you lots. Depression affects everyone in the family doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure as heck it does!! He's great though and has been with me though the worst and best times x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Total empathy coming your way. I too have that unshakable greyness currently, hence I'm enjoying your blog at 2 something this morning. Your hubbie sounds like a star. Bless him. Mine's a goodie too. What would we be without them? Lurve your chilled out doggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of you to leave a comment x Sorry you were up so late and not feeling good. Glad you have a hubby that's supportive and loving too. I dare not think about my life without mine! Maggie the wonderdog is pretty cool alright :) xx

      Delete
  4. It's always nice to read a post that appreciates the efforts of others, in this case Andrew. The picture of Maggie made me smile. Take care. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew's just the best, I'm spoilt rotten having him as my hubby. Maggie wags her little tail at you xxx

      Delete
  5. He is a star! I'm coveting that expertly trained apple tree, I have dreams of a line of them along our back fence.....one day!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x