Monday 30 March 2015

Brother Handheld Garden Label Printer

Since my last post it's all gone down hill in the Gault household; we have been hit by a plague of phlegm and my poor hubby has a chest infection. As he is the driving force on all things allotment, his sickness (and boy it's bad) has meant that nothing has gotten done, not a seed sown, not a bed weeded, not our new greenhouse loved and photographed. *sad face*

As you all know I do allotmenteering as a form of therapy and coupling that with a horrendous mental health bout since the start of the year, well, I haven't been much use. I need my hubby to get me out of the house, to encourage and support and he has simply been too ill.
*******

So it's been a good time to review the Brother GL-H105 Handheld Garden Label Printer 
I was sent. Nothing much like being crafty and trying to organise oneself and be of use. Okay, so none of the seeds are planted yet but there's no harm in being prepared :)

This fun and rather easy to use handheld label printer has many applications in the allotment world, from labelling seeds, to marking your tools and of course writing those jam jar labels. Plus it is resistant to drizzle, easy to grip and has a sharp cutting tool built in.


It is a little hard to get used to the keypad as it is alphabetical rather than laid out like a keyboard and working out the length of label you need took me a little practise, but what you get is a very sticky, robust label with perfectly clear lettering in un-smudge-able ink.

There are 3 type sizes and with the help of the really easy to use instruction leaflet and large screen display you can create simple borders and very fancy ones too (especially for those handmade jams and pickles you gift to friends). I'm afraid I fell for the sweet flower border as you can see but I did resist the many emoticons, plus I decided to stick to bold print when there were a lot of fancy print types tempting me.

The lightweight printer takes 6 AAA batteries and there are 4 widths of tape, 3.5, 6, 9 and 12mm available in a variety of colours. The tape lasts a surprisingly long time too and in my photographs I have the 12mm black on white. I really would recommend this largest size.

Fun though it is for the garden/allotment (or ideally in commercial nurseries where many trays/pots are being labelled in a batch). I do see this as unrestricted to horticultural purposes; as a crafters product, a practical tool in the office or any situation where you wish to label something neatly!

Dear friends, I warn you, if you are lucky enough to get one of these as a gift you will find it fun and dare I say it, slightly addictive. And it will nestle well with all your other necessities in seed sowing :)


Much love
Carrie

Many thanks to Brother and to Robyn from Citypress for sending me this model to review x

9 comments:

  1. Omg what pretty labels. Want one. Want one. Woops sorry I got a bit carried away there.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - love your passion for all things label-y :) x

      Delete
  2. I have a Brother Label Maker (a different model) that I haven't had the nerve to learn to use yet. I never considered it might be a nice garden label maker. What a fine idea. I'll pull out the instructions!
    I hope you and yours all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get to it Librarian - once you get hang of the basics it's a lot of fun :)
      Hugs x

      Delete
  3. I hope that you both feel better soon. This garden label printer is not something I would find much use for, but can see the appeal for anyone who has a use for one. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Flighty, We have sown more seeds since this post and were happy enough to go back to using a plastic label and writing on it in pencil. But if you have one you'd be bound to use it once in a while xxx

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean Flighty, We have sown more seeds since this post and were happy enough to go back to using a plastic label and writing on it in pencil. But if you have one you'd be bound to use it once in a while xxx

      Delete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x