Wednesday 24 September 2014

Starting over or...


* Personally - I've been falling down a lot (metaphorically) recently and the allotment has not been a place of much therapy; life has seemed harder and more cruel in the past days, especially at the weekend and I just feel I would rather sleep all the time than have to face reality.
BUT...still I get up every day and I try. I try to read, to clean, to be alive to the beauty in the world.

* In Allotment terms -  The work on 14b has well and truly begun. Andrew has decided this is going to be his challenge and he's already made a lot of headway. You know I have been so ashamed of the place that never a photo is taken but this is where we are at at present. (Well, after I took this the apple tree was disposed off too and the digging began).
'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ An allotment blog
top of 14b - the big cultivated area is where the squash bed was, the rhubarb will be staying 
I'll get Andrew to draw me a 'proposed plan' for the space; I'll share it when he gets round to it.
'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ An allotment blog
Stunning sunflower on 14b
I think it's all down to Autumn, that time of year when there is work to be done; that sort I like to call 'constructive deconstruction'. There are plants to be lifted, finished crops to be cleared and bare soil is once again seen, leaving us with fresh thoughts of the future. Composting goes into overdrive with all the last grass cuttings and plants now past it; this is the time we get horse manure from the stables and everything seems to take on a glow, a radiance that suggests yes winter is coming but with cosy nights and chances to dream. The fact that the compost heap is warm to the touch is quite magical too.
'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ An allotment blog
Horse manure on left, general compost heap on right with compost bin in front (why?...I don't know)

The early nights are coming in and the skies recently have been beautiful, we've seen a few from the plots, whether we are still working there or simply taking Maggie for a walk. We're also eating those delicious pumpkins and lots of beetroot - growing your own ties you into the seasons and these food stuffs feel like such a treat right now.

Our turnips were a bit of a disaster and we let them get too big, too woody and bug eaten. I lifted them all and said goodbye. I have to say though that it was a joy to see that area cleared and I got all those blasted big weeds too. As we look back over the year, we are learning (we are always learning) about the space we use for various crops and how 2 courgette plants are more than enough for us, we need to grow less potatoes too as we have had way too many, soft fruits do not work well for us (though we have a plan) and we really want to try asparagus again...see, the bare soil can be exciting.

'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ An allotment blog
Really disgusting rotten turnip; a whole wheelbarrow of unuseable turnips; weeds and a sneaky carrot!
'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ An allotment blog
before and after
I shall add my photos now, I think I have waffled enough. It's simply one of those days were I so want to talk to you but my mind is just wandering. In the next days I will have some little vignettes from around the field too, I hope you stay tuned for that.

'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ An allotment blog
Maggie laughing :)
Love and hugs
Your Carrie

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant doggie photo! I've just put up two big compost bins at the plot, I'm all ready to compost things now! Wishing you a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie is just, quite simply awesome :) Enjoy your composting! xx

      Delete
  2. The sunflower is absolutely remarkable. It looks like a painting:~)

    You started this post with uncertainty about yourself and where you are, but as it progressed, I felt a calmness to your words...a sense of settling perhaps into the coming winter days.

    The garden is good for you. It keeps you seeing the beauty that surrounds you. I see it in your pictures:~)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara, you always see deeper into my writing. I am more positive and calm about our plots and enjoying my photography again xxx

      Delete
  3. As you say this time of year is good for adding lots to the compost heap. Shame about your turnips. That's a fine looking sunflower, and that picture of Maggie has me smiling. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Composting is an allotmenteers catnip, haha! Maggie seems to made of happy :) xx

      Delete
  4. I love your sweet girl up there! And I always like to see what you have growing in your garden! Sending you thoughts and prayers friend in the coming days...you take care....Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole, I am feeling much better and Maggie is sleeping away, exhausted at all the love she has been receiving - she's just too cute! xx

      Delete
  5. I wonder how many of our plans will make it off the mental drawing board and how many will remain dreams?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x