Sunday 22 November 2009

The last pumpkin

Well it had to happen someday, we've finished our little harvest of pumpkins. I feel silly but honestly, I'm a bit upset. What's that all about?? We grow and tend to our crops so we can enjoy the literal fruits of our labour. We worried about and pandered to the needs of these little beauties, especially after last years disaster and were so proud of them. I guess I miss that tension and the joy of what was to be, it's always better than getting what you want, right? I mean, often I look forward more to the planning of a holiday rather than the time away itself - I'm I alone in this?
Well, I thought it deserved a photo. It was being used in an Andrew risotto special last night, along with our own leek and garlic too. His risottos are wonderful, he truly is a great cook. With these ingredients there was risotto rice (obviously), stock, pancetta, marscapone cheese (just a little) and lemon. It was gorgeous. Just have to wait for a year until my next home grown one. Ah well.

5 comments:

  1. Fear not dear! I only used half of the squash, so we have one more risotto to go! ps it's a 'sweet dumpling' squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel this way in the fall with the onset of winter. I walk around in a circle like a lost little sheep starring at my plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Andy,
    can you please give the whole recipe? I'm a bad cook with an awful lott of pumpkins so I need a good recipe. Give my love to Carrie.
    Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie girl .. my goodness and I thought I was the only one that felt that way ? I should have known better ! That recipe sounds absolutely divine .. aren't we lucky we have husbands that like to cook ? LOL
    I hope you are feeling a little brighter : )
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. my ad-hoc squash risotto recipe:

    I used 1/2 a squash, which you need to puree in advance. I simmered the cubed squash in a little milk with olive oil, salt and pepper.

    Cook the risotto as you normally would, starting with cubed pancetta then adding chopped leek (or onion) and garlic. Once these have sweated down add the rice and cook for a few minutes before starting to add your stock.

    When you're coming close to adding the last of the stock, add the squash puree. Once this is blended in add a table spoon of mascarpone. Once stock is absorbed, add some lemon juice to taste, remove from the heat, cover with a lid and set aside for a few minutes before serving. You could add some butter now if you like. And thats it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x