Thursday 8 October 2009

National Poetry Day - nothing to do with allotments but what the heck

I wasn't going to do a post today, I haven't been well but the Hubby is sleeping on the sofa beside me and I've been dandering around some friends' blogs and think I will. National Poetry Day could easily have passed me by with out a care in the world but I do have a favourite and it is very important to Andrew and I, it was read on our wedding day.

Had I the Heaven's Embroidered Cloths ~ W.B Yeats.
Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Plus I always loved Horace's :
Happy the man and he alone,
He who can call today his own,
He who save within can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
Just my wee contribution x

5 comments:

  1. Hello, I've stopped by via Veg Plotting's blog!
    Thanks for joining in the fun and doing a NPD post. I'll be doing a weekend follow up post 'More Heroes and Heroines' where I'll include a linked mention to this post! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah for Flighty doing some detective work :)

    I love the lines:
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

    Definitely something to bear in mind during married life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VP - Pleased she found me! Thanks to you of course.

    All I had was love and my dreams to give to Andrew, no money, no career prospects, not even good health. So I gave him everything I did have, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a he if you're referring to me!

    What you've given Andrew is beyond worth, which I'm sure he realises and no doubt given you the same in return. Value such gifts as they are truly priceless. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful Carrie...I love poetry and participated in a poetry forum last year. I wrote and wrote. Then, I just stopped because a lot of my poetry tends to be on the melancholy side and I wanted to be focused on more upbeat things. That's when I started garden blogging!! I've always been inspired by others' great poetry, like those authors you posted. Such a nice poem for your wedding day!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x