Friday 30 October 2009

Little manly Neeps

A headless chicken, that's what I am at the minute, a feckin' hen without a head running in circles about to collapse and go bye bye. I'm having yet ANOTHER f-ing panic attack and it is killing me. I've taken a sedative but I am quite maniacal and have vacuumed the whole house in the past 10 mins and tided up and got washed myself. I am going to have a break down, I'm serious, I've been having loads for weeks and there ain't nothing any of my Dr's can do but tell me to stay calm and take sedatives if I need them. I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING MAD. I'm not afraid to say that, I am not ashamed to be ill, just desperately, totally overcome with sadness and frustration. And panick.

So, as you can turn to another wonderful blog or tut at my self pity, or get annoyed that this girl is talking about herself like this again; I can write here without worrying about upsetting anyone and without hearing the disappointment in your voice, seeing the confusion on your face, hearing your questions that I don't have answers for.

I want to talk about normal stuff and I have photos I'd like to share. It's about Turnips and Leeks, wonderful grow our own produce to boast about.

I need to take a deep breath...



Right, 'Purple Top Milan', quite possibly the prettiest, peppery-est, easy to grow turnip I know. (I don't know many, this is the one we grew last year as well as this year again; my knowledge is thus limited.) Oh it is one of those veggies that just wants to grow, they push each other out of the way just to prove some point about how 'I want to grow more than you do, get out of my way, I mean it, I'll grow round you sucker!, this bed ain't big enough for the both of us'. Thus:



Well, they were all ready, the ones that you pull out, obviously leave a little room so the ones left behind sprint on - this bed has done us proud. (I see them as feisty Italian men, with too much testestrone, just a thought.) However, too big and they aren't as tasty so it was time to harvest the lot. We didn't need them right away so, after watching Gardeners' World we decided to store some in sand. Now luckily Mamma G happened to have some sand, (so thank you to her) and we had a gorgeous wine box = turnips topped and tailed, wiped with a cloth and allowed to go to bed. Thusly:



It was pouring out of the heavens by this time - hence the soaking wet sand but it'll be fine. They're stored in the dry safety of the shed and should hopefully last us a wee while.

4 comments:

  1. keep the deep breaths up; love the colour of the turnips! I want to grow them too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yum. I love turnips. Must be very satisfying to have them stashed away. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've no reason to turn to another blog, tut or get annoyed! I will sympathise and say that I'm thinking of you!
    I haven't grown turnips yet but I just might have a go next year!
    Take care, Flighty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, sometimes I feel like doing all those things, tut, turn away and get annoyed at you!! BUT at the end of the day I admire your courage in saying it 'HOW IT IS' and ranting till you feel youv'e got it all off your chest. So yes I feel like saying stop the self pity and get a life, but I know personally that doesn't work and cetainly doesn't help, so rant all you like my lovely, I for one will still pop back to see how you are doing. Nuf said ! your turnips are brilliant, well done you two. KEEP ON BLOGGING !!!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x