Tuesday 4 August 2009

Potatoes, Beans and Peas

Oh last night was utterly stinking on the lotties - the weather has just been rotten and we're on the final countdown to the outdoor Family Fun Day; it's on Saturday! Eeek. Things have to clear up or else we need to find a 4-field sized marque. At least the roads have improved look at this >


So although working for a rather short, damp time, I managed to tie in all the billowing Raspberry canes and harvest lots of runner beans. The runners are going very well again this year despite the weather. We love these 'Enorma' ones, they live up to the name and they taste excellent. We're going to have a glut soon as this year they are all pretty much at the same growing point and the yield is high on this variety. I cut a good few which we'll eat tonight, the one on the far right is 38cm long, and that isn't the longest we've had.


Although the weather has been bad we have done well so far, bar the fact that the wind has knocked down a good few of my precious sunflowers (no photos of that, just to upsetting, it may even give you nightmares!). I've finished lifting the peas ('Greenhusrt longshaft?', 'Longshaft Greenhurst?' or something completely different; we grew 2 types and head-like-a-sieve-girl here can't remember) now and just have the remaining bagful in the fridge. We have mangetout coming now and boy are they sweet and tasty and more broad bean seedlings and borlotti beans coming along. That's just the start of it! There's also French Dwarf beans and green beans; legumes rule!


We've had some fabulous dinners too. Simple food but done right. The 'Maris Piper' bed had to lifted due to blight starting to get into the tubers, so we'd had lots of lovely spuds. Plus we've also been slowly chomping at the 'Maris Peers' and have some 'Duke of York' for tonight. I took this potato/tomato picture last week, growing on one of the Maris Peer plants. Of course I knew these things existed but I'd never seen it before - nature is marvelous.


So here's a little taster of what we've been eating. A simple dinner, yes but as I said, done right. These are little individual layered pies with our own courgettes (doing very well this year, growing in an old chicken manure pellet bucket!) sliced and seasoned with herbs and white wine vinegar on the bottom, and mixture of thoroughly roughed up boiled potatoes and peas (our own again) and a little cheese sprinkled on top before a light grilling. So good! On my goodness. Andrew (as usual) finished before me and then proceeded to stare at my bowl until I'd finished. Like Maggie I think he was hoping for a little leftovers ~ no such luck!

A 'harvest hat' for a change, I forgot my basket

So, yes, once the raspberry canes were dealt with and the runner beans harvested and photos taken I had to run back to the car. Taking my Strawberry and Mango fruit tea with me. I sat there whilst Andrew had some committee stuff to attend to. It was cold and raining and blowy - this is August. Look at it!! And it just got worse!

5 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous in spite of the bed weather you've been having. I would love to have the recipe for the Courgettes pie. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A harvest hat serves the purpose well. Functions the poor hat has to carry through; covering the head and collecting veggies...

    Looks like a nice recipe,
    ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! The weather sucks here too in London! I saved some runner bean seed last year and have found a brilliant new hybrid. I think it has cross pollinated with one of my smooth flat beans 'Eden' so I get an Enorma/Eden cross. Do your Enorma get stringy when they grow large like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come to dinner sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I must admit Andrew can be a wizard in the kitchen. I'll get him to write down the courgette/pea/potatoes thing for you. And yes, sure you're all welcome to come to dinner!

    Matron - they do get stringy when left much longer. I always try to cut them at the long-ruler-length (30cms) or there abouts. You can also see when they are going to be stringy; the colour is a little blotchy and the bean doesn't stay rigid, it sort of wobbles when you cut it and hold it dangling from your hand.

    Rather impressed by you making your own hybrid. You'll have to keep me informed about them.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x